Joe Lauzon asked to be selected with Gray Maynard to coach on The Ultimate Fighter. While he didn't receive that position, he will get Maynard in December at UFC 155.
The card, which is expected to feature a UFC heavyweight title fight between Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez, will be the annual New Year's Eve weekend card. It is expected to take place in Las Vegas.
Lauzon recently defeated Jamie Varner to improve to 22-7 in his career. He is 3-1 in his last four fights, with all three wins coming by way of submission.
"I contacted Joe Silva and said I thought that Gray and I could be a cool angle as coaches of TUF," said Lauzon, in a recent interview with CagePotato.com. "They didn't do that but later I got a call asking if I wanted to fight Gray on December 29. It's on the main card of a huge card."
Maynard topped Clay Guida in his first non-Frankie Edgar fight in several months. Maynard and Edgar battled twice for the UFC lightweight title, with "The Bully" leaving the series with a draw and a loss.
"My last fight was the first fight where I really had fun. I was enjoying every second of that fight," Lauzon said. "I also know that I probably can't get hit as often by Gray as I did by Varner. Jamie is probably a better boxer than Gray, but Gray probably has more power."
- Luke Rockhold Set To Return Sooner Than Expected
- Vitor Belfort "Joyful" To Fight Jon Jones, Blasts Fighters Who Have Become "Divas"
- Dana White Says There's Only One Difference Between Fighting Henderson And Sonnen
- Chael Sonnen Rips "Selfish Brat" Jon Jones For Refusing Fight
- Video: Bellator 73 Highlights Feature Quick Finishes
- Fear The Fighter Steps Up To Help Finance Eddie Yagin
- Joe Lauzon Requested Bout With Gray Maynard
- Cung Le Back Training, Says Foot Remains "Sore"
- Jones' Striking Coach Hints That Chael Sonnen Had Been Training For Weeks
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.