"I had to just keep pushing," said Lauzon. "The whole thing in camp was we're going to break his wall. Not matter what happens we're going to push harder and he's going to break."
Lauzon won the fight with a triangle choke in round three. Varner said he broke his hand in the second round, but Lauzon didn't notice until the third round as he started to throw mostly elbows.
"The basing was don't get hit with that over the hand right," Lauzon. "He threw it over and over. I was okay standing as long as he wasn't getting the overhand right."
The win gave Lauzon 'Submission of the Night' and 'Fight of the Night' honors. He also snapped Varner's three fight win streak.
"This was definitely a career highlight," said Lauzon. "I'm thrilled the UFC wanted to put me on FOX and was more thrilled we put on such a great fight."
- Nate Diaz Inks New Deal With UFC
- Roy Nelson Tweets "The Juice Is Good" In Regards To Using TRT
- Dana White Fine With TRT, As Long As It's Used Properly
- Video: Another Teaser For All-Access Ronda Rousey
- Seth Petruzelli To Compete At K-1 Rising
- Lightweights Bobby Green, Matt Ricehouse Placed On Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman
- Dan Henderson Thinks Lyoto Machida’s Style Contains A Flaw
- Henderson Feels Age Is Not A Factor In His Upcoming Fight Against Jones
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Willing To Coach TUF: Brazil Vs. Shogun Rua
- Frank Mir Gave No Second-Thought To Facing Daniel Cormier
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.