Javier Mendez, the head trainer at American Kickboxing Academy, was a recent guest on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo. Mendez offered up his take on who should fight Daniel Cormier.
Cormier was set to meet former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir, but Mir was forced out with an injury. Strikeforce officials have said Cormier will remain on the November 3 card, but no replacement opponent has been named.
"I wish that Daniel faced Frank Mir or Fabricio Werdum, or maybe Shane Carwin," Mendez said. "I want Daniel to fight with someone who will challenge you, that will motivate you to train. Werdum is the guy who's up there, so for me this is the guy I want."
Werdum is coming off a recent win over Mike Russow back in June, but does not have an opponent lined up. He is 16-5-1, and 2-0 since joining the UFC.
- Forrest Griffin- Bonnar's “Going To Surprise Some People"
- Mark Munoz Eyes February Return, Weidman Rematch
- Pat Barry Forced To Find New Home After Team DeathClutch Folds
- Jens Pulver Dealing With Anxiety, Depression Issues
- Javier Mendez Discusses Opponents For Daniel Cormier
- Stephan Bonnar: "I Am Going To Give Anderson Silva Hell"
- Countdown To UFC 153: Silva Vs. Bonnar Airs This Evening
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.