Following another disappointing performance in the UFC, Jason "Mayhem" Miller was released from the promotion by UFC president Dana White. Though White, who seems to harbor some kind of grudge toward Miller, would likely have pushed for his contract termination anyway, the UFC boss cited an ugly backstage incident as the straw that broke the camel's back.
Appearing on MMAFighting's The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani today, Mayhem explained that the ugly incident was more of a misunderstanding over his flamboyant entrance.
"Yeah, yeah, it was my mask," said Miller when asked to give detail on the incident. "Burt (Watson) suddenly started yelling about my mask -- I had a gas mask for the troops underneath my crazy paper bag that I painted. And Burt started telling me, 'Can you just wear the gas mask?' You know, right as I'm walking out to fight," Miller explained. "You know what I mean? I'm trying to get focused there and instead I'm arguing about a paper bag. Maybe it was my fault, but I don't know, I thought we had an understanding that once I start walking to the cage that it's like, now I'm working. But, obviously, we're not on a playing field of mutual respect.
"I wish I would've heard (that Dana didn't want me to wear the mask) before, it would've made it easier to deal with," he continued. "But, I'm walking to the cage and suddenly I start getting yelled at. It's like, 'I'm trying to focus here.' Whatever, things don't always go the way you want. That's life and you have to deal with it."
Though he was cut by the UFC, Miller had stated before the fight his intentions to retire if he couldn't beat his UFC 146 opponent C.B. Dollaway. Sticking to his guns, Miller told Helwani that he's going to focus on other pursuits and adventures aside from fighting for the foreseeable future.
"I said I would, so I am," said Miller. "I'm done for right now."
One of the sport's most intriguing characters and gutsy competitors, Miller retires with a career mark of 23-9 with one No Contest -- but his legacy will always be defined by more than just the numbers.
Here's wishing Mayhem all goodwill and good luck in his future endeavors.
- Dan Hardy: “I Feel Like That Was My UFC Debut”
- UFC's Alan Belcher Gives Webinar For Leglock Defense
- Mayhem Miller Talks Backstage Incident, Retirement
- Report: Anderson Silva Has Injured His Knee
- Video: Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic Wins By KO At K-1 Rising
- Big Country Sticks It To Bosses With UFC 146 Win
- Alistair Overeem Likely To Remain Top Contender After Suspension
- Dana White Confirms Nottingham Fight Card
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir Highlights
- Dana White Talks Arianny Celeste's Arrest
- Video: Cain Velasquez Vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva Highlights
- Dana White Hints At Brock Lesnar's Return
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller Cut From UFC
- Vitor Belfort Out Of UFC 147 With Broken Hand
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Live Gate And Attendance
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.