It might have been a few weeks longer than expected, but Jamie Varner (21-7-1-2 NC) and Melvin Guillard (30-12-2-1 NC) finally met at UFC 155 this past Saturday. Their original encounter at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale earlier this month was postponed when Varner fell ill backstage hours before their fight.
"I got six bags of IV fluid and I didn't pee for two days," said Varner to MMA Fighting. "It was just the flue. I couldn't keep anything down. I couldn't eat. It was really bad. I was severally dehydrated. I couldn't take down any food until about Monday."
Varner defeated Guillard via split decision at UFC 155. UFC president Dana White was critical of the judges after one of them scored all three rounds for Guillard. Two judges scored it 30-27 for Varner, while a third judge had it 30-27 for Guillard.
After the fight, Varner admitted that there was no ill will between the two, and the trash talk leading up to their encounter was due to the fight being postponed at the last minute.
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.