Gray Maynard (11-1-1-1 NC) thinks 2012 will close with one Diaz brother as champion. Maynard has Nate Diaz (16-7) defeating Benson Henderson (17-2) for the lightweight title later this month.
"I think Nate will win because he's been doing good and if that happens I gotta beat Joe Lauzon and then fight Nick," said Maynard to MMA Interviews.
Earlier, Maynard had to pull out from his upcoming fight with Joe Lauzon (22-7) due to a tear in the medial and lateral meniscus of his knee. Maynard is expected to resume training in a few weeks. It is not known if he will still challenge Lauzon, who now has a new fight for UFC 155 against Jim Miller (21-4).
Maynard was quick to point out that Henderson is a southpaw, which makes fighting him difficult to prepare for. He doesn't think that it will be a problem for Diaz though.
"Ben Henderson gets away with a lot of stuff because he is a lefty," said Maynard. "So a lot of people don't know how to deal with that. Nate knows."
Diaz will look for his first piece of gold as Henderson goes for his second title defense.
Henderson vs. Diaz will headline UFC on FOX 5 from Seattle, Washington. The main card airs December 8, starting at 8 p.m. Eastern Time. FX will host the preliminary fights and two fights are set to stream from from Facebook.
- Joseph Benavidez-Ian McCall Headed For UFC 156
- Ultimate Fighter Headed To Tuesdays In 2013
- Dan Hardy Not Planning On Being Part Of UFC's Return To England In 2013
- Ryan Bader-Vladimir Matyushenko Added To UFC On Fox 6
- Bellator 83 Finalized With Early Start Time
- Urijah Faber-Ivan Menjivar Expected For UFC 157
- Final Fight Makes Invicta FC 4 Official
- Luke Rockhold Responds To Michael Bisping Saying He's The Unofficial Strikeforce Champion
- Relive Eight Fights Featuring Benson Henderson, Nate Diaz Ahead Of UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.