If Gray Maynard could plan out his future, it would go like this: witness Nate Diaz defeat Benson Henderson for the UFC lightweight title, earn himself a third fight with Diaz, and coach against Diaz on The Ultimate Fighter.
Maynard, who is coming off a victory over Clay Guida, believes that the first thing is bound to happen this December. From there, the cards will have to fall just right.
"Nate's on a roll; I think he'll pull (out a victory over Henderson in December)," said Maynard, in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com. "If he does, I know he was begging for me for a long time, but for me, I was looking at the title and that's a fight that would be a great fight for the title. I'd like to do the TV show (The Ultimate Fighter) against him if that's the case."
Maynard lost to Diaz via submission while they were both part of TUF, but "The Bully" rebounded to earn a split decision over Diaz in 2010. Diaz, however, isn't the only fighter Maynard has on his mind.
"I would love that fight still," said Maynard, of a fourth meeting with Frankie Edgar. "He's a tough kid; there's a TV show in that. That's No. 4 and that doesn't happen very often, and it's been back-and-forth."
Maynard handed Edgar his first career defeat several years ago. The two fought to a draw, then Edgar defended his belt with a victory last year.
- Rocyce Gracie Says His Father Wanted Him To Highlight Jiu-Jitsu At Early UFC Shows
- After Winning 3 Fights In 14 Days Jared Rosholt Returns To Action For The First Time In Over A Year
- Javier Mendez Says “The Team Got Stronger After Koscheck Left”
- Chris Weidman Feels Anderson Silva’s Management Has "Downplayed" Him
- Felice Herring Turned To MMA As She Never Wanted To Stop Competing
- Before Named No. 1 Contender Lyoto Machida Wanted Conclusion To Maurício Rua Trilogy
- DeWayne Zinkin Continues To Stand Behind Phil Baroni Through The Rough Years
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline