Gilbert Melendez (21-2) knows his upcoming championship defense against Pat Healy (28-16) may go the full five rounds and he's ready.
"Pat Healy is a tough guy to prepare for because it could become a war with this guy," said Melendez. "He's durable [and] a grinder. The main thing is to be in great shape and be able to grind 25 minutes with the guy."
Melendez is the current Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and has defended his title a total of six times. He is currently on a six fight win streak. Healy has lost once since he dropped to the lightweight class and has won his last five fights.
"I think I'm more skillful and graceful than he is and can capitalize on that, but I got to be ready for war," said Melendez. "This guy might not go down with a hard right hand or left hook. He might still be standing, coming forward. I got to be prepared for that."
Melendez vs. Healy takes place September 29.
- Luke Rockhold Set To Return Sooner Than Expected
- Vitor Belfort "Joyful" To Fight Jon Jones, Blasts Fighters Who Have Become "Divas"
- Dana White Says There's Only One Difference Between Fighting Henderson And Sonnen
- Chael Sonnen Rips "Selfish Brat" Jon Jones For Refusing Fight
- Video: Bellator 73 Highlights Feature Quick Finishes
- Fear The Fighter Steps Up To Help Finance Eddie Yagin
- Joe Lauzon Requested Bout With Gray Maynard
- Cung Le Back Training, Says Foot Remains "Sore"
- Jones' Striking Coach Hints That Chael Sonnen Had Been Training For Weeks
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.