Gian Villante (10-3) isn't certain that he and Guto Inocente (6-0) could have drawn enough fans to be placed in the main event of the now cancelled Strikeforce show. Villante vs. Inocente was supposed to be the co-main event for the September 29 show, before main eventer and champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2) pulled out citing an injury.
"I don't know if I'm at that point in my career yet where millions of people are going to tune in just to watch me fight," said Villante on The MMA Hour. "I'm just being realistic. I'm not trying to put myself down or anything like that, but, I don't have what Gilbert Melendez has at this point in his career."
According to Villante, the best way to solve this issue is to move all the fights to the next Strikeforce card.
"I'm hoping that's the plan," said Villante. "I can't see them doing it any other way. I was the co-main event, so hopefully I get a little more preference over the other guys. They've only got three fights booked, so throwing this on [with] the other eight fights that will be on the card, I don't think hurts them in any way. So, I'm hoping that's what happens."
- Submission Specialist Paul Sass Wants To Be The First To Submit Matt Wiman
- Dan Henderson Would Take Fight With GSP If Offered
- UFC Planning Regular Dates For Montreal, Toronto Cards
- Matt Hughes To Remain A Member Of The UFC
- Nick Diaz Seeking Another Overturn Of Suspension
- Stefan Struve Not Worried About Getting Knocked Out By Stipe Miocic
- Bellator 74 Weigh-In Results, All Fighters Make Weight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.