In fact, despite not fighting for well over a year, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is still viewed by many as the best of the best.
However, St-Pierre himself has another candidate for that top spot: former UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar. GSP, who will meet Carlos Condit at UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit in November, recently told the Los Angeles Times about his high praise for "The Answer."
"No. 1 is Frankie Edgar; he's the best pound-for-pound fighter we have," St-Pierre said. "He lost his fight to Benson Henderson only according to the judges. He was much stronger than Henderson."
Edgar was defeated by Henderson in Japan earlier this year, dropping the belt to "Smooth." He also was topped in the rematch; both fights went to the scorecards.
As for his own stats, St-Pierre said, "I haven't fought in a long time. I'm out of it. After Carlos Condit, maybe I'll be back."
- Kenny Florian: Frankie Edgar Has A Chance Vs. Jose Aldo
- Alistair Overeem An Undeserving Challenger, Says Junior Dos Santos
- Dana White Guarantees Anderson Silva-Jon Jones Will Happen
- Jon Jones Brings In Frank Mir As Part Of TUF Coaching Staff
- Another Change To UFC 154 Fight Card Results In John Maguire-Matt Riddle
- Chris Weidman Confirms He Is Safe, House Hit Hard By Storm
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.