It has been an interesting year for one Frankie Edgar (14-3-1). He started 2012 off losing his lightweight championship and it ended with a potential featherweight title fight.
Edgar made the call to drop down to a featherweight after losing his lightweight championship and the rematch that followed. When Erik Koch (13-1) got injured, he pulled out of his main event title fight against José Aldo (21-1) at UFC 153. Edgar was offered the spot and accepted what would have been his debut in a new division. An injury to Aldo caused the entire fight to be scrapped.
"I was disappointed," said Edgar on MMA Interviews. "I was looking towards that fight. I jumped in because Koch got hurt. It's funny how things work out, but I think we'll still get that fight just at a later date."
Aldo has stated that he hopes to return to action before the year ends. It remains unknown if Edgar will still get a chance at the championship.
- "Here Comes The Boom" Falls To Seventh Over Weekend
- TUF Fridays Bounces Back With 811,000 Viewers
- UFC 154 Fight Lineup Confirmed, Four Fights Each To FX, Facebook
- Chad Mendes Has Battery Charge Dropped
- Chris Beal's Secret To Success Is Always Being Ready To Fight
- Daniel Straus Says After Next Fight He Maintains No. 1 Contender Status
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.