With his stellar win over Jim Miller at UFC On FOX 3 Saturday night, Nate Diaz vaulted himself into title contention. That means, if he sticks to the plan and waits for a title shot, he'll be facing the winner of the impending Benson Henderson-Frankie Edgar rematch in late summer/early fall.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani for last night's FUEL TV post-fight show, Edgar gave his take on Diaz's breakthrough performance, since he may very well be facing his Gracie jiu-jitsu "teammate" down the line.
"Nate's a stud, man," said Edgar. "He's kind of a teammate, you know, so I was happy for him. It was a hell of a performance, it really was."
Edgar, along with many others, admitted his surprise that Diaz was able to become the first man ever to finish Miller in professional competition, submitting the Jersey boy in the second round with a mean guillotine choke.
"You know, I was (surprised), man," said the former champ. "I know Jim's tough as nails. I didn't know what the outcome would be, but I definitely didn't think Jim would get finished. So, hats off to Nate, man. He's a stud, for sure."
Due to a broken nose suffered in their first meeting, Edgar won't be ready to face Bendo again until August or, more likely, September. Diaz currently plans to hang on the sidelines to see how that one plays out.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Ratings Continue To Flag
- Video: Marcus Davis Mulling Retirement After KO
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Official For UFC 149
- Dominick Cruz Injures ACL, UFC 148 Title Fight Canceled
- Nate Marquardt Vs. Tyron Woodley For Strikeforce Title
- Dana White Credits Donald Trump With UFC Return To Atlantic City
- Brian Stann Vs. Hector Lombard To Main Event "UFC On FOX 4"
- UFC Thinking About Another Possible Comeback Season For "TUF"
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode Recap: Wanderlei Earns A Win
- "Super Fight League 3" Results: James Thompson Tops Bobby Lashley
- Roger Gracie To Make Middleweight Debut Vs. Keith Jardine At Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Discusses His Next Opponent UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos
- Not Even Illness Could Take Johny Hendricks Down
- Nate Diaz Happy To Rest Up Before Title Shot
- Hendricks Vs. GSP A "Pretty Interesting Fight" To UFC Pres
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.