Frank Mir's manager, Malki Kawa, was a recent guest on MMAWeekly Radio. There, Kawa gave as good of explaination as we've heard in regards to what might come about with the UFC heavyweight title in May.
Currently, Alistair Overeem is awaiting his hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission after a failed drug test. If Overeem can convince the NSAC to license him, he'll likely face Junior dos Santos for the belt at UFC 146. That would leave Mir and Cain Velasquez in the No. 1 contender co-main event.
Kawa talked about there likely already being bout sheets signed by all the fighters, so, unless he's suspended by NSAC, Overeem can still face dos Santos.
"So to avoid confusion, what I think is happening is they're going to wait for the decision," Kawa said. "If Overeem gets licensed, everything goes on as planned. If Overeem doesn't get licensed, then you can bet your house there's going to be a replacement."
Many have pegged Mir as the one to fill in for Overeem, as dos Santos took the title from Velasquez, and the majority of the heavyweight roster is already signed to other bouts. Kawa added, "I tend to think that it will be Frank Mir, but who knows? No one has said to me it's going to be Frank Mir for sure."
Overeem's hearing is set for April 24, so we should know officially soon after that.
- "Bellator 65" Weigh-In Results: Zach Makovsky, Eduardo Dantas Official For Main Event
- Video: UFC 145 - "The Champ Is Here!"
- Frank Trigg Fired By HDNet Over Claims Of Domestic Abuse And Adultery
- Tito Ortiz Picks Jones Over Evans At UFC 145
- Alessio Sakara Predicts KOTN Or FOTN Against Brian Stann
- Brandon Vera Sees Thiago Silva Getting KTFO By Gustafsson
- Video: "UFC On FUEL TV: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Press Conference
- Nick Diaz's Team Responds To Amended NSAC Complaint
- Video: Pros Split Over Jones Vs. Evans Winner
- Frank Mir To Be A Guest On "MMA Uncensored Live" Tonight On Spike TV
- Jonathan Brookins Takes His Training To New Level As Bout With Charles Oliveira Approaches
- UFC Approves Of Creation Of IMMAF
- UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo Still Without An Opponent For "UFC 149"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.