Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will head to Strikeforce and meet Cormier later this year. The bout does not have an official date, but do not expect to see more UFC-to-Strikeforce fights made.
"You're not going to see more of it," said UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, in a recent interview with ESPN. "This is a one-time situation. It was a situation where Cormier had to fight one more time for Showtime. We wanted to put on a very relevant fight that is credible."
So, Showtime and Strikeforce will receive a bout that likely could have served as a main event - or at least co-main event - for a pay-per-view by the UFC.
Fertitta did add that Cormier is headed to the UFC after the fight, and that Mir could position himself nicely with a win over the former Olympian.
- Kenny Florian Believes GSP Will Return In November
- Alistair Overeem Continues To Fuel Fire With Junior Dos Santos
- Josh Koscheck Out Of UFC 151 Fight With Jake Ellenberger
- Final Ratings In For UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera
- Jon Fitch Calls BJ Penn "A Coward," Says Not Welcome At AKA
- Shawn Bunch To Debut In Bellator This November
- Lyoto Machida Doesn't Plan On Staying Quiet While Waiting For Title Shot
- No New News On Nick Diaz And His Quest To Fight Again
- No Contract Yet Between UFC-Nate Diaz, Says Cesar Gracie
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.