Alistair Overeem's series of unfortunate events opened the door for Frank Mir to be bumped up from what was a number one contender's bout against Cain Velasquez into a title fight with Junior dos Santos.
The former heavyweight champion has taken the boost in opponent in stride, which is evidenced in this recent assessment of the Brazilian bomber's skills, made in a conversation with HDNet's Inside MMA.
The only difference I feel with dos Santos is that dos Santos is the better boxer, you know, quicker hands. He just isn't as multifaceted as Velasquez is. As far as, when you fight dos Santos, I don't think it's any secret: he has no chance of winning the fight if it goes to the ground. The only time that I've ever seen him take a shot is if he's pretty handily winning the fight and I think he just does it just for maybe a change of pace, to throw something out there.
But as far as when you see people engage him, he's a throw-punches-and-run kind of guy. He doesn't wanna sit there and get grabbed and taken down and he's not gonna fight that battle. If he was capable of doing it, we probably would've seen it already. Fact is, he avoids it like it's poison.
Mir will find out exactly what kind of ground game dos Santos is working with when he meets Cigano in the main event of UFC 146 on the 26 of this month at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
What do you think fight fans? Can Mir exploit dos Santos' "weakness" on the ground, or does the champion get it done again with a spectacular knockout?
- Josh Barnett Believes Strikeforce Tourney Will Stand The Test Of Time
- Video: The Best Of Filthy Tom Lawlor
- Frank Mir: Dos Santos Avoids The Ground Game "Like It's Poison"
- Luke Rockhold Faces Tim Kennedy In Next Title Defense
- Bellator 68 Weigh-In Results
- Freddie Roach Talks GSP, Diaz And Condit
- Bellator, TNA Wrestling And Spike TV Officially Announce The Signing Of King Mo
- Video: Complete Recap Of The Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix
- Quick Shots: UFC 149 Tickets On Sale, Bellator Seminar Today, Bellator Signs Shanon Slack
- Antonio Silva Working With Wrestlers To Prepare For Cain Velasquez
- Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal Headed To Bellator, TNA Wrestling
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson For UFC Light Heavyweight Title Going Down September 1
- Video: Jeremy Stephens' Latest UFC On Fuel TV 3 Vlog
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.