When you become a champion in the UFC, the obligations for your time take a drastic turn to the direction of many. As a former two-time UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir knows this better than most.
Mir will look to secure the title as best in the world for a third time when he steps inside the Octagon to face Junior dos Santos for the belt Saturday night at UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir.
Entering as the contender, Mir knows exactly what kind of pressure outside-the-Octagon dos Santos is going through this week as fight nears.
"Familiarity increases with comfort," said Mir, during the recent pre-fight press conference. "You become more accustom to something. The media, the exposure, the things outside the Octagon. I think that gives me an advantage. But, once you shut the cage door, it's all the same."
Mir earned his shot at the belt thanks to a submission victory over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Alistair Overeem's failure to obtain his fight license. Mir was originally set to face Cain Velasquez in a No. 1 contender match, but was bumped up to the title-fight when Overeem was removed.
- Brian Stann Partnering With Hire Heroes USA For Memorial Day Weekend
- Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez Are Daniel Cormier's Picks For "UFC 146"
- "Titan Fighting Championships 22" Results: Ex-UFC Fighter Anthony Johnson Earns Win
- "TUF: Live" Losing Semifinalists Off Finale Card
- "Bellator 70" Results: Cole Konrad Defends Title, Rick Hawn Captures Tourney Crown
- "TUF: Live" Episode Recap: Semifinals Take Centerstage
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Weigh-In Results
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Previews And Predictions
- Video: 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Weigh-Ins
- Programming Reminder: 'UFC Primetime: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Ends Tonight
- Dana White Talks Jon Jones, Compares Him Against Anderson Silva's Professionalism
- Video: Junior Dos Santos Grants 9-Year-Old Boy His Dream
- Confident Frank Mir Prepared For "UFC 146" Main Event With Junior Dos Santos
- Cain Velasquez Offers High Praise For "UFC 146" Opponent Antonio Silva
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.