Frank Mir took advantage of Alistair Overeem's recent legal problems to jump into a championship match for the UFC title with Junior dos Santos. However, that doesn't mean Mir has any problems with Overeem.
While appearing as a guest on UFC Tonight recently, Mir was asked if he feels Overeem should get another shot to compete inside the Octagon despite his recent failed drug test. Overeem was suspended nine months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and will be eligible to apply for his fight license late in the year.
"I believe he should get a second chance," Mir said. "Everyone makes mistakes. We all do things we're not proud of. He's a fierce competitor. I think he deserves to be in the Octagon."
The former Strikeforce heavyweight champion secured his position in the division by defeating Brock Lesnar last year. At a surprise drug testing following a press conference, Overeem tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. He told NSAC that he took an injection without knowing what was in it to help with pain caused by a rib injury.
Mir will seek to regain the UFC heavyweight title when he takes on dos Santos at UFC 148 on May 26. The main card will feature all heavyweight fights.
- Video: Alistair Overeem's NSAC Hearing
- Falcao-Spang Winner To Face Alexander Shlemenko For Vacant Title
- Vinny Magalhaes Blames Extended Absence On M-1 Global
- Video: Georges St-Pierre's And His Road Back To The Octagon
- Free From Bellator, Jay Hieron To Try Luck With Legacy FC
- Dana White Calls Overeem Liar, Says Future With UFC Uncertain
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighter Salaries
- Keith Kizer Says No Issues Will Come In Chael Sonnen Receiving His Fight License
- Only A Title Shot Would Get Chuck Liddell Out Of Retirement
- Chael Sonnen "Embarassed" For Anderson Silva
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.