Most believed Forrest Griffin would face Stephan Bonnar at UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II after Chael Sonnen was removed from the co-main event bout. Instead, UFC officials announced Phil Davis as Griffin's new opponent.
The two will compete December 29 from MGM Grand Garden Arena, serving as the lead-in bout to Junior dos Santos-Cain Velasquez for the UFC heavyweight title.
Griffin and Bonnar have competed twice before, including in the finals of the first Ultimate Fighter. The bout is credited with helping generate huge interest in the UFC.
Bonnar recently was defeated by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. He is also becoming a father for the first time. Plans for a potential third bout have been discussed by the two for quite some time, and Griffin hinted at where that meeting could take place down the road on Twitter Friday night.
I guess If me &@stephanbonnar fight each other agin it will be at some really rich guys bachelor party for beer money
— Forrest Griffin (@ForrestGriffin) October 20, 2012
- Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira Walked Into UFC 153 With An Injury
- Shane Carwin Thinks Roy Nelson Is Just Talk
- Ian McCall Defends The Flyweight Division
- Matt Riddle, Francisco Rivera Wins Changed To No-Contests By Calgary Commission
- Daniel Cormier Knows He's Crossing Paths With Jon Jones
- Chad Mendes-Hacran Dias Official For UFC On FX 6
- Anderson Silva: Chael Sonnen Undeserving Of TUF, Jon Jones Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.