Former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin will not be making his scheduled UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II fight with Phil Davis. UFC president Dana White announced on Twitter Wednesday that Griffin has been forced out with a serious knee injury.
"Forrest has MCL tear and ACL strain," White posted. "20 cc's of blood removed from his knee and the saga continues at the UFC!!"
UFC 155, which takes place at the end of December, has been hit with several injuries. Gray Maynard was forced out of a planned meeting with Joe Lauzon due to a knee injury, while Chris Weidman was removed following a torn labrum.
Also, Chael Sonnen was the original opponent for Grifin, but he accepted a spot on The Ultimate Fighter as a coach.
No word yet on if Davis will be given a new opponent.
- Renan Barao-Michael McDonald On Tap For 2013
- Emotional Dominick Cruz Discusses His Latest Knee Injury
- Randy Couture Responds To Steven Seagal's Fight Request
- Bellator 82 Ratings Are In
- Tyson Griffin Glad With His Decision To Leave Xtreme Couture For AKA
- Bjorn Rebney Details New Championship Rematch Stipulation
- Video: Dana White Returns With Blog Featuring Chael Sonnen
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.