Fabio Maldonado may not be as big of an underdog as Stephan Bonnar, but he will still be trying to stun the MMA world on Saturday night. Maldonado is set to face Glover Teixeira at UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Maldonado was expected to meet Jurgen Kruth, but Kruth retired. He was given the chance to replace Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and face Teixeira, who many believe will be a contender to the UFC light heavyweight title sooner rather than later.
"He's never encountered a strong chin like mine," Maldonado said. "I know for a fact my boxing is better than Glover's. I know he's never seen anyone with my boxing skills."
Maldonado (18-5) has lost his last two fights via decision to Igor Pokrajac and Kyle Kingsbury. He was victorious in his UFC debut back in 2010, stopping James McSweeney.
"I know he is a great fighter with hype and a lot of people don't want to face him - but I do," Maldonado said. "I have one advantage: I know how to hurt people. My strategy is to exchange punches and see who is the toughest. I will defeat him."
FightLine will have complete coverage of Saturday's event, along with all your latest breaking news leading up to the card.
- Chris Camozzi Plans To Donate Part Of His Purse Back To Brazilian Youth
- Video: Extended Preview For Saturday's UFC 153 Card
- Bellator 76 Official With Weigh-Ins Complete
- Jon Fitch Getting Title Shots Is A "Popularity Contest"
- Phil Davis Planning To Finish Wagner Prado And Set The Record Straight
- Mark DellaGrotte Talks Here Comes The Boom, Hopes Bonnar Gets Out Of Brazil Alive
- Glover Teixeira Ready To Bring Excitement To The Octagon
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.