A Moscow courtroom has convicted featherweight Rasul Mirzaev (5-0) of manslaughter and he was given the maximum two year prison sentence according to The New York Times. The arrest occurred in August 2011 and it was days after Mirzaev had signed a Bellator contract. The promotion released him once the news broke.
The death of Ivan Agafonov occurred after he got into a physical altercation with Mirzaev. During the brawl, Mirzaev shoved Agafonov to the ground where his head hit a metal drain cover. Agafonov died four days later.
After the incident, Mirzaev turned himself into police and was cooperating with the investigation. He also was in contact with the victim's family and has sent them money. He was released when the verdict was read for his time served.
Mirzaev was facing more serious charges, but those were dropped due to a lack of evidence.
It is not known if Mirzaev will continue his MMA career. His last fight, before the arrest, was a win in July 2011. Mirzaev's last three career fights he's ended in round one.
- Magnus Cedenblad-Rafael Natal On For UFC On Fox 6
- Sara McMann Not Seeing Ronda Rousey Fight In The Near Future
- MMA Side Of GLORY - Dream Card Continues To Grow
- One Handed Nick Newell Ready For Title Run
- Nate Diaz Feels It's His Turn To Be UFC Champion
- Shogun Rua Discusses Turning Down Jon Jones Title Fight
- Mike Chiesa Signs With First Round Management
- Benson Henderson Focused On "W" Vs. Nate Diaz At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.