In a recent interview granted to TATAME, Erick Silva assured fans he was confident he would knock out Charlie Brenneman in their upcoming fight, as well as shared some information on his training camp for the welterweight tilt and his thoughts on Mario Yamasaki refereeing one of his future bouts.
As stated above, the Brazilian welterweight is set to face Charlie Brenneman at UFC on FX 3 on June 8, and expects the contest to end in fireworks, regardless of where it takes place.
"I am going to knock [Brenneman] out on the ground or standing," said the young Brazilian who trains with the likes of UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and the legendary Nogueira brothers.
Well-aware of Brenneman's penchant for the ground game, Silva has focused a large amount of his camp on takedown defense as he expects "The Spaniard" to avoid a fight on the feet.
"His style is to put the guy on the ground. He does not have very good striking… it is not his strong suit."
Even with the realistic chance that Brenneman might plant Silva on his back at multiple points throughout the fight, "Índio" is confident that training hard with 2x Brazilian National Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Champion, Bruno Frazatto will prepare him for the task at hand.
"[Frazatto] is giving me great advice and I am improving more. The ground won't give me any headaches."
Fighting for the first time outside of his native Brazil, Silva does not expect to be distracted or nervous.
"I'm going to put on a show, for sure. When we're focused, nothing can affect us."
Certainly confident and optimistic about the fight, Silva is even open to the possibility of referee Mario Yamasaki, who previously disqualified Silva this past January at UFC 142 for illegal shots to the back of the head against fellow Brazilian Carlo Prater, overseeing his future bouts.
"I would be happy if he were the referee for this fight, because realistically, he did not do anything with bad intentions."
To see if Erick Silva will deliver on his promises regarding Charlie Brenneman, tune in to the UFC on FX 3, June 8 at 8 P.M. EST.
- Struve And Johnson Talk Short Notice Opponent Switch
- Mark Hunt Injured, Replaced At UFC 146 By Lavar Johnson
- Erick Silva Confident He Will KO Brenneman
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Ratings Continue To Drop
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Fighter Salaries
- B.J. Penn Declines Bout With Josh Koscheck
- Bellator 69 Weigh-In Results; Falcao Over By Two Pounds
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Conference Call Notes And Quotes
- Video: Cain Velasquez Part Of Team AKA Fighter Diary
- Anthony Pettis Not A Likely Candidate For Donald Cerrone At UFC 150
- Josh Koscheck Wants BJ Penn Fight, But Does Penn?
- Korean Zombie On Last Night's Big Win: I Made A Statement
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" Coming To FUEL TV
- Fighting Entertainment Group (FEG) Declaring Bankruptcy
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.