The 26-year-old Brazilian has been on a tear since signing with the UFC, extending his undefeated record to 10-0 with impressive victories over the likes of Anthony Njokuani, Ross Pearson and Terry Etim. Speaking with LowKick.com recently, Barboza said that he's hoping a fifth UFC victory will see him in line for a title shot -- but he's not letting thoughts like that cloud his mind ahead of his next fight.
"I don't know, but I hope so," Barboza said when asked if he thought he'd get a title shot. "Actually, I am not worried about this for now. I want to be fighting against the best fighters in the world. I want to win my space step by step. I am not in a hurry. I know I am in a really hard division, and it keeps me motivated to train harder and harder. Today I am focused on my next fight. I want to do my best inside the octagon. What will happen after that, it is in God's hands."
Barboza was also presented with the prospect of a fight to establish number one contendership against Anthony "Showtime" Pettis. Though he's interested in the fight, Barboza maintained that his focus is on the task at hand.
"I don't know, maybe so," he said of the idea. "But as I said I am focused on my next fight. So, I neither think about who will be my next opponent, nor about what the people are saying. Pettis is a great fighter. He already won the current champion of this division. This could be a great fight, truly a war. As I said I love being able to fight, I love my job. I want to be fighting against the best ones. Whoever it is, I want to fight."
UFC 146 goes down this Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
- Mir Gets No Love As Pro Fighters Make Their Picks
- Stipe Miocic Expects "Three-Round War" Against Del Rosario
- Latest Episode Of 'TUF: Live' Sets New Series-Low For Ratings
- Nick Diaz Suspended For One Year, Fined By NSAC
- A Look At The Top MMA-Run Ins With The Law
- NSAC Approves Chael Sonnen's TUE For TRT Request
- Edson Barboza Open To Title Shot, Fight Against Anthony Pettis
- Jon Jones Posts Statement On His Facebook Page
- Video: Episode Two Of "UFC 146 Primetime: Dos Santos Vs. Mir"
- "TUF: Brazil: Recap: Final Quarterfinal Takes Place, Fighters Switch Teams
- Mark Munoz Doesn't Believe Hector Lombard Is Near A Title Shot
- Opening Of UFC GYM BJ Penn Takes Place In Hawaii
- "Countdown To UFC 146" Debuts Wednesday On FUEL TV
- Frank Mir On Dos Santos: “He Goes To The Ground With Me, He’s Dead”