Eddie Wineland's (20-8-1) UFC start was a little rough. He began his career with a pair of losses in 2011. In 2012, he did better by securing a pair of wins to balances the losses. With his most recent win over Brad Pickett (22-7), he thinks that his spot in the bantamweight division is sitting close to the top.
"I think I'm right there in the mix," said Wineland to MMA Interviews. "Top five of the division. Whoever they want to put in front of me, title shot or nontitle shot, whatever it is I'll fight them."
Wineland defeated Pickett via split decision at UFC 155. The loss made Pickett 2-2 under the UFC name.
Current bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (19-1) has been out of action since October 2011 with an ACL injury and isn't expected to return for around a year. Renan Barão (29-1-1 NC) has been serving as the interim champion while he's out.
- Bellator Counters UFC’s Contract For Eddie Alvarez
- Jason Lambert And Hector Ramirez Added To Bellator 85
- Pat Healy’s Strikeforce Opponent Finally Revealed
- Paige VanZant Couldn’t Resist Invicta FC’s Offer
- UFC Hall Of Famer Dan Severn Retires
- Lucas Martins Tabbed To Face Edson Barboza At UFC On FX 7
- Bellator And Paul Daley Reach An Agreement
- Bobby Voelker Excited To Make UFC Debut Vs. Patrick Cote
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.