Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney confirmed via Twitter on Monday that Patricky "Pitbull" Freire will be the opponent for Eddie Alvarez on October 12. The card takes place from Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
It is of significant importance because it marks the final fight on the contract of Alvarez with Bellator. The former Bellator lightweight champion will become a free agent, with the promotion receiving a three-month period to negotiate a new contract with him before he is allowed to sign with anybody.
Freire is 10-3 in his career, having lost two of his last three. He owns seven career wins via knockout and one submission victory.
Alvarez (23-3) is coming off a victory over Shinya Aoki. That came on the heels of a loss to Michael Chandler for the title in 2011.
- Report: Jon Fitch, Erick Silva Added To UFC 153
- John Dodson Vs. Jussier Da Silva At UFC On FX 5
- UFC Prepping Alexander Gustafsson For Major Fight
- Lyoto Machida Not Concerned With Decision To Make Rua-Vera No. 1 Contender Match
- Patricky Pitbull To Face Eddie Alvarez This October In Bellator
- Ryan Bader Feels Like He Is In The Thick Of Light Heavyweight Title Talk
- Jon Jones Responds To News Of Rua-Vera Becoming No. 1 Contender Match
- High Stakes Added To UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera Main Event
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.