Former Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez landed a highlight-worthy knockout Friday night, delivering a kick that dropped Patricky Pitbull. The bout was the last on the Bellator contract for Alvarez, who many expect to sign with the UFC.
Alvarez (24-3) has won his last two since a loss to Michael Chandler in what many called the Fight of the Year in late 2011. On his Twitter account following the Pitbull win, Alvarez sent a message to his fans.
Thank you for all the love and support throughout this journey, You all have been a huge motivation to get to the next level !! Best fans
While not coming right out and saying it, the message appears to make a hint at the direction Alvarez is heading. Bellator does have exclusive matching rights to any contract offer the fighter receives, but Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has stated in the past he feels as though Alvarez is headed for the UFC.
UFC president Dana White even sent Alvarez a message immediately following his win Friday via Twitter, posting, "congrats Bro!!! Let's talk:)"
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.