"I'm going to have surgery this Wednesday," Cruz said. "They're saying it's going to be a while for me to recover, but I'm saying it's not going to take as long."
Cruz injured his knee during training, but remained on as coach of The Ultimate Fighter against Urijah Faber. Faber will now meet Renan Barao at UFC 148 in July for the interim UFC title, with the winner likely to meet Cruz to unify the belts.
As for the Faber-Barao match, Cruz made his choice, saying, "Indirectly, I'm going for Faber."
Cruz (19-1) has not fought since late in 2011 when he defeated Demetrious Johnson.
- 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale' Medical Suspensions
- Three Fights Added To UFC 150 From Denver
- Video: Outtakes From Anderson Silva's Budweiser Commercial
- Chris Clements Steps In For Alves Against Bahadurzada
- Bibiano Fernandes Set To Make UFC Debut
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Fighter Payouts
- Jon Fitch Sidelined By Knee Injury
- Report: DREAM Closes Its Doors For Good
- Video: UFC Fighters Discuss Jon Jones' Recent DUI Arrest
- Joe Stevenson To Fight For Resurrection Fighting Alliance On June 30