"Nick really wants this fight because he has great admiration and respect for Anderson as a fighter," said Gracie to TATAME. "Anderson Silva is a true martial artist, he studied martial arts, is a great representative of the sport. Nick loves martial arts and that, for him, is enough to put Anderson Silva as the opponent."
Dana White made it clear that Diaz will have to fight at least one top name before the UFC decides if he's getting a championship shot. Gracie thinks finding an opponent won't be a problem as there are challengers who would take the fight based off of Diaz's name alone.
"I heard Dana White's statements saying that Nick will have to fight someone before having another chance at the title shot and there are a lot of fighters out there who would love this fight," said Gracie.
Diaz remains suspended until February for testing positive for marijuana following his controversial loss at UFC 143. Prior to that Diaz was on an 11 fight win streak that included three successful defense of the Strikeforce welterweight championship. Silva continued to dominate the UFC roster by winning a light heavyweight fight at UFC 153. Silva, the middleweight champion, moved up one weight class to save the event that aired from his home country of Brazil.
Neither is linked to a fight at the moment.
- Josh Koscheck Reports Possible Nick Diaz Fight
- Gilbert Melendez Could Go To UFC "Anytime" Says Cesar Gracie
- UFC On Fox 5 Loaded With 13 Bouts
- Change Made To UFC 154 Fight Card Lineup
- WSOF Matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz Promises Every Card Will Be Packed With Action
- Strikeforce’s Evangelista Santos Jumps Ship To Legacy FC
- Tim Gorman Goes From Bar Fighter To Championship Contender
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.