Diego Sanchez, Donald Cerrone and Melvin Guillard were all training partners under Greg Jackson at his gym in New Mexico. Guillard decided to branch out, leaving for a camp in Florida. Now, he is slated to face Cerrone in the co-main event of UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II next month.
The news of the Cerrone-Guillard fight surprised many, including Sanchez. "The Dream" recently sent a message to Cerrone via Twitter regarding the bout.
"Wow you and Melvin??? I was like 'he took the fight??? after all those (expletive) whoopin's I seen with my own eyes in training!!!?" Sanchez wrote. He also added after being asked maybe that's why Guillard left, "I'm cool with him! just surprised w that fight."
Cerrone and Guillard will go down August 11 from Denver, Colorado. The UFC lightweight title will also be on the line that evening, as Benson Henderson defends against Donald Cerrone.
As for Sanchez, he has not fought since early in 2012, falling to Jake Ellenberger.
- Frank Mir To Face Daniel Cormier In Strikeforce Later This Year
- Mike Swick Vs. DaMarques Johnson Added To UFC On Fox 4 Main Card
- Next Light Heavyweight Contender Could Be Determined At UFC On Fox 4
- UFC Makes Alan Belcher-Vitor Belfort Official For UFC 153
- Firas Zahabi Says GSP Still Interested In Fighting Nick Diaz
- Ryan Bader's Only Job Vs. Lyoto Machida Is To Win
- Dustin Pague Vs. Chico Camus Planned For August's UFC 150