Demian Maia (17-4) has found success since he dropped down to the welterweight division and already has his eyes set on some of the top names. Maia looks to challenge Nick Diaz (26-8-1 NC) or Jon Fitch (24-4-1-1-NC).
"I think Nick Diaz and Jon Fitch are opponents that would surely have much name in this division and I would climb fast," said Maia to TATAME. "The others, I think they are marked with struggles, but these two guys are certainly very tough and they would have proved much I climb in the division."
Maia has been on a two fight winning streak since he became a welterweight in July 2012, last winning in October at UFC 153. Fitch also won at UFC 153, giving him his first in over two years. Nick Diaz was fined for testing positive for marijuana and can return to action to February 2013. Diaz has spoken about challenging for either the welterweight of middleweight championship upon his return.
If Maia gets the chance to take on one of them, he knows the game plan needed to secure the win.
"I think the two have much jiu-jitsu, both with Nick as with Fitch," said Maia. "Both are good with that, just that I feel more focused on the Fitch's wrestling than with his jiu-jitsu, and Nick is a guy more with boxing than jiu-jitsu."
The next fight of these three fighters has not been announced.
- Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira Walked Into UFC 153 With An Injury
- Shane Carwin Thinks Roy Nelson Is Just Talk
- Ian McCall Defends The Flyweight Division
- Matt Riddle, Francisco Rivera Wins Changed To No-Contests By Calgary Commission
- Daniel Cormier Knows He's Crossing Paths With Jon Jones
- Chad Mendes-Hacran Dias Official For UFC On FX 6
- Anderson Silva: Chael Sonnen Undeserving Of TUF, Jon Jones Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.