Just a week after jiu jitsu wiz Demian Maia announced his intentions to drop a division to welterweight, the Brazilian fighter has been matched up with an opponent for his 170lbs debut.
The UFC has announced that Maia will face Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim at UFC 148 this summer.
A former title challenger at middleweight, Maia (15-4) is leaving his longtime division on the heels of a loss to up and comer Chris Weidman. Weidman stepped up on very short notice to take on Maia at UFC on Fox 2 and defeated the 34-year-old via unanimous decision despite being woefully underprepared to fight. Maia holds notable wins over Ed Herman, Chael Sonnen, Dan Miller and Jorge Santiago.
Talented judoka Dong Hyun Kim (15-1-1, 1 NC) will throw Maia's welcoming party. The 30-year-old Korean recently rebounded from a dramatic knockout loss to current interim champ Carlos Condit by taking a unanimous decision over Sean Pierson at UFC 141.
UFC 148 is expected to take place on July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- "Bellator 62" Weigh-In Results: Eric Prindle Awarded Tourney Title
- Dan Henderson Coy On Denial Of Shogun Rematch
- UFC 149 Gets Jose Aldo For Headliner
- Video: Brian Stann Recounts "Operation Matador"
- UFC On FOX 3 Final Lineup Official With Ferguson-Tavares
- FOX Execs Attempt To Tailor Joe Rogan's Commentating
- Rampage's TRT Use Leading To More TUE Requests
- Rashad Evans Fighting For More Than The Belt
- Video: "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode 3 Preview
- Jordan Smith Replaces Brian Foster At Bellator 63
- Trio Of Fights Booked For "UFC On FX 4"
- Michael Bisping Feels Tim Boetsch Is "Harder Fighter" Than Mark Munoz
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.