Demetrious Johnson went five grueling rounds with UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz last year. Now, "Mighty Mouse" is set to try again to become a UFC champion when he takes on Joseph Benavidez at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort.
Johnson and Benavidez will be meeting to become the first-ever UFC flyweight champion. The experience gained by already competing in a five-round affair could pay off for Johnson on September 22.
"I think I could have won the bantamweight title, but 125 pounds is where my body performs best," Johnson said. "Being at 125 pounds, I think I'm the fastest fighter in the UFC."
Johnson defeated Ian McCall to reach the finals of the four-fighter tournament. The two were forced to have an immediate rematch after a judging error was found in the first meeting. The UFC actually told Johnson he could give McCall the shot at Benavidez due to his scheduled honeymoon, but Johnson said no way.
"I want to be the first UFC flyweight champion," Johnson said. "I told my wife that I was going to have to train three times a day while we were on our honeymoon; she understood and we made our honeymoon about running along the beach or climbing the hill."
- Nick Ring Vs. Constantinos Philippou Added To UFC 154
- Jorge Masvidal: Strikeforce Needs More Shows
- Jon Jones Thinks He's Wrongfully Portrayed As The Villain
- Fans Will See A Reborn Chris Leben In UFC Return
- Jon Fitch Thinks Championship Fights Are Given Out To The UFC's Favorites
- UFC 140 Taught Walel Watson A Lesson The Hard Way
- Krzysztof Soszynski-Ednaldo Oliveira Set For UFC On FX: Lombard Vs. Palhares
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline