Despite being diagnosed with a hernia, which would have required surgery, "Mighty Mouse" will not be going under the knife.
The UFC flyweight tournament finalist, who is expected to meet Joseph Benavidez this fall for the inaugural 125 pound title, had experienced swelling in his groin immediately after his UFC on FX 3 victory over Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall. After seeing a physician, he was expected to undergo surgery, but opted to seek a second opinion. As it happens, Johnson merely had swelling in his groin, and requires nothing more than medication and rest.
Despite his considerably better diagnosis, a date for his bout with Benavidez is not set in stone as of yet. The title contender is still awaiting x-ray results on his right hand, which he believes he re-injured during the bout with McCall.
Only time will tell.
- Two More Bouts Added To UFC On FUEL TV 5 In Nottingham
- Demetrious Johnson Misdiagnosed, Will Not Require Surgery
- Jose Aldo Targets Fall Return
- Chael Sonnen Says He Can Beat Anderson Silva In Any "Combative Man's Sport"
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 147: Silva Vs. Franklin 2"
- Ronda Rousey Proclaims “Women Will Be In The UFC”
- Fedor Not Sure If He's Changed As A Fighter, Remains Noncommittal About Retirement
- Video: UFC 148 - Believe Your Eyes Promo
- Dan Hardy Vs. Amir Sadollah Likely For UFC On Fuel TV 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.