MMAjunkie.com is reporting that Daniel Cormier will be part of the January Strikeforce event. The Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion will face Dion Staring on the card, which is slated to feature three championship matches.
Cormier (10-0) was originally set to square off with former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir this month, but after Mir was forced out, no suitable replacement was ever made. The entire event was eventually scrapped by the promotion.
Staring (28-7) is a training partner of Alistair Overeem and has won each of his last six fights. Fourteen of his career wins have come by way of knockout, while another eight are submission victories.
For Cormier, this will likely be his final appearance for Strikeforce before heading to the UFC.
- UFC Offering Eight Free Fights Featuring GSP, Carlos Condit
- Nate Marquardt-Tarec Saffiedine Planned For Strikeforce In January
- Eddie Mendez Inks Deal With UFC
- GSP Working With Rory MacDonald For Upcoming Fight
- Carlos Condit Embraces Role Of Underdog For UFC 154
- Video: "In Focus: Franklin Vs. Le"
- Strikeforce To Return January 12, Luke Rockhold-Lorenz Larkin Scheduled
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.