Daniel Cormier feels he can step inside the cage four-or-five times in the coming year. Cormier will first tackle Dion Staring at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine in January.
"I look forward to getting in the cage early January. I'm hoping that I can make my UFC debut around March and if I get through that fight not too hurt, I'd like to fight again in May or June," said Cormier, while appearing on MMAWeekly Radio recently. "Then I'll fight in September and then I'll fight again at the end of the year. I'm a wrestler, we wrestle every week, so if I can get four-or-five fights, that would be great for me."
Cormier mentioned facing Frank Mir, the former UFC heavyweight champion, who was scheduled to meet him earlier this year before suffering a knee injury. "DC" said he is "hoping to fight Frank when I get in the UFC."
Despite previously stating that he might move to light heavyweight should training partner Cain Velasquez win back the UFC heavyweight title, Cormier said he has plenty of time before having to make a decision regarding that.
"Cain and I fighting is a ways away," Cormier said. "I'm a heavyweight, so Cain has to beat this guy (Junior) dos Santos, Cain has to beat Alistair Overeem if he's able to get past (Antonio) 'Bigfoot' Silva. So there's a lot of things that would have to happen for Cain and I to fight - to even becoming a reality. It does have some bearing, but not immediately."
- DREAM Places Inaugural Featherweight Championship Bout On NYE Card
- TUF Loser Sam Alvey Given MFC Title Shot
- Video: Highlights From This Past Friday's Bellator 84
- Dana White: Every Signed UFC Fighter Is On Twitter
- Daniel Cormier Targets Four-To-Five Fights In 2013
- The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale Salaries Released
- Patrick Cote-Alessio Sakara Rematch Off For UFC 158
- Nick Diaz On Facing GSP: "This Is The Fight I Want"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.