Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier has taken to social media to respond to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. In a recent interview, Jones claimed Cormier was a relative known and he would not face him on The Ultimate Fighter as coaches.
Well, Cormier obviously had read the comments after a followed asked him on Twitter to "please beat up Jon Jones!"
"I am not known enough to fight him yet," Cormier responded. "A little more time and some more wins I guess."
Cormier, a former Olympic wrestler who is undefeated in his MMA career with wins over such heavyweights as Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett, also made light of the situation. Another fan posted, "Are you sure you've got enough twitter followers to even be tweeting about Bones Jones?" Cormier replied, "I don't!"
Despite being a heavyweight, Cormier is on the smaller side and has said he would be willing to drop down to 205 pounds to face Jones. Cormier immediate fighting future is unknown, as the planned card he was set to fight on - a November 3 date in Oklahoma City - was recently cancelled by Strikeforce.
Cormier is expected to join the ranks of the UFC once he finishes his Strikeforce contract, as the promotion absorbed the heavyweight division last year. Cormier remained to finish out the grand prix.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.