The UFC's threat of legal action over CagePotato's obviously satirical caption asserting that UFC president Dana White placed a bet on Jon Jones in addition to sponsoring him for his UFC 145 main event is another unfortunate reminder of how reactionary the promotion can be.
From the UFC's statement demanding the post's retraction:
The claim that Mr. White would financially wager on the outcome of a UFC® event is outrageous in the extreme. Indeed, in the verified complaint we are presently preparing for Mr. White's signature upon his return from Abu Dhabi, Mr. White expressly states under oath that at no time in the history of his association with the UFC® has he ever financially wagered on the outcome of a UFC® event.
Below is UFC president Dana White's UFC 94 video blog (dug up by MMAJunkie's Dan Stupp), in which White can be seen making a hundred dollar bet with Wanderlei Silva over the Manny Gamburyan-Thiago Tavares fight and then paying up when his man lost. It bears mentioning that a personal bet like this is definitely not the same thing as placing a wager with an actual sportsbook.
Interesting enough, either way. Actually, the whole UFC 94 vlog is pretty interesting. It features Wayne Gretzky's wife bothering Georges St-Pierre, the aforementioned bet, and DW's initial (and quite intriguing) reaction to Greasegate – the infamous incident where Georges St-Pierre was allegedly slathered with vaseline during his title fight against BJ Penn.
Check it out below for a nice trip down memory lane (it also serves as a nice distraction from the fact that someone is being threatened with a lawsuit for making a joke).
- Video: Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win At Australian MMA Event
- BJ Penn And Jens Pulver Predict UFC 145 Winner
- UFC On FUEL TV 2 Medical Suspensions
- Roland Delorme In For Injured Johnny Bedford At UFC On FOX 3
- Chael Sonnen Comes To Alistair Overeem's Defense
- Shinya Aoki Has No Regrets About Breaking Bones, Set To Meet Eddie Alvarez Friday Night
- Recently Released Alexis Vila Targets Spot In UFC's Flyweight Division
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 145" Complete Episode
- Video: Rashad Evans Interview
- Chuck Liddell Calls Jones-Evans Odds "Ridiculous"
- "UFC 144: Edgar Vs. Henderson" Drug Test Results
- Overeem's Team Has Explanation For Test. Ratio, But It's Not TRT
- "UFC On FUEL TV 2: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Ratings
- Video: Rashad Evans, "Georgia On My Mind"
- Revisit Greasegate And More In Dana White's UFC 94 Vlog
- Kenny Florian Voices Support For King Mo
- Newcomer Tim Elliott Will Face John Dodson At "UFC On FOX 3"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.