UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones are considered by many to be the best fighters in the world right now. However, each man seems to be more interested in remaining in charge of their respective divisions than squaring off inside the Octagon.
UFC president Dana White was asked if he would be able to make a Silva-Jones fight despite neither one wanting it Saturday night after "The Spider" defeated Stephan Bonnar at UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar.
"How many guys in the UFC have said a fight won't happen? And then it does," said White, on the Fuel TV post-fight show. "Anderson has broken every record in the UFC. He's 37 and Bonnar is 35. He's younger, Bonnar is bigger than him; he came to win this fight. Anderson loves the challenge. I think he will take the fight with Jon. Not to mention the fact that the money would be hard for either of them to turn down."
In recent weeks, Silva has been very focal about a super-fight with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. GSP, however, is locked in a bout for next month with Carlos Condit to unify the titles.
White added that, "We have shows to run. We can't just sit around and wait," when asked about a Silva-GSP contest. He also said that "if you think I don't want to see both these fights happen, you're crazy. I do."
Silva was asked his take on both fights. In regards to facing Jones, Silva said, "No, this is not my goal. My goal is to stay in my class - 185. This is not my goal." As for St-Pierre, he said, "maybe. I don't know. Good question."
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.