Nate Diaz and Johny Hendricks were both poised to gain eventual title shots with a win at Saturday night's UFC On FOX 3 fight card.
Diaz was granted his after putting on a clinic against the top-tier Jim Miller, finishing a man never before finished with a slick submission in the second round of their lightweight battle. Hendricks is in slightly murkier waters, since he only barely squeaked past Josh Koscheck in their welterweight co-main event.
Though he wouldn't outright declare Hendricks at the front of the line (and with Carlos Condit holding the interim strap, where the front of that line leads directly is currently confusing), UFC president Dana White did assert post-fight that he is interested in seeing Hendricks battle the best.
"People go out and they love to boo Josh Koscheck," said White. "Josh Koscheck is a fighter, man. this kid comes and tries to finish you. He'll fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. Hendricks looked great tonight against a fighter whom I have a lot of respect for. And, if you look at Koscheck's wrestling, too, Koscheck had a hard time not getting taken down by Hendricks and taking Hendricks down.
"My point to this whole diatribe of mine is this: Josh Koscheck, because he gets booed, might not get the respect that he deserves," he continued. "He's a great fighter and has been for a long time and Johny Hendricks won tonight. Whether you agree with the decision or not -- you know, because some people think that Koscheck won, or it should've been a draw -- it was that close. So, I think a fight with Hendricks and GSP is pretty interesting."
For full results from Saturday night's event, click here.
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Ratings Continue To Flag
- Video: Marcus Davis Mulling Retirement After KO
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Official For UFC 149
- Dominick Cruz Injures ACL, UFC 148 Title Fight Canceled
- Nate Marquardt Vs. Tyron Woodley For Strikeforce Title
- Dana White Credits Donald Trump With UFC Return To Atlantic City
- Brian Stann Vs. Hector Lombard To Main Event "UFC On FOX 4"
- UFC Thinking About Another Possible Comeback Season For "TUF"
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode Recap: Wanderlei Earns A Win
- "Super Fight League 3" Results: James Thompson Tops Bobby Lashley
- Roger Gracie To Make Middleweight Debut Vs. Keith Jardine At Strikeforce Event
- Frank Mir Discusses His Next Opponent UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos
- Not Even Illness Could Take Johny Hendricks Down
- Nate Diaz Happy To Rest Up Before Title Shot
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.