UFC president Dana White sang the praises of Chris Weidman following his victory over Mark Munoz Wednesday night in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman. However, White failed to go as far as naming Weidman the next contender.
With this just being his ninth MMA fight, and fifth inside the Octagon, White was asked if Weidman is better off taking on another contender before stepping inside the Octagon with "The Spider."
"Who knows who's ready for a guy like Anderson Silva," White said. "Everybody was saying before this fight that Mark Munoz had the style (to defeat Silva). Toniht, Weidman was that guy. Nobody gets moved slow in the UFC; you are always fighting the toughest guys in the world."
Weidman caught Munoz coming in with an elbow that appeared to knock Munoz out on the way down. He jumped on top and finished him with several blows before the ref called the action. While the finish was incredible, White was upset with the late stoppage.
"I was as blown away as anybody," White said. "But I can't stand that (the late stoppage call). I was standing, looking dow at this guy (Munoz) getting hammered. The fight needs to be stopped (quicker)."
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Medical Suspensions Feature Munoz, Te Huna
- UFC On FUEL TV 4 Fighter Salaries Released; Aaron Simpson Atop The Charts
- Michael Bisping Unimpressed By Chris Weidman's Performance
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Finishes Second Among All FUEL Events
- Dana White Calls UFC 149 "Craziest Card Of All Time" In Terms Of Injuries
- Video: Dana White Offers Up His Take On Everything From Weidman To TUF: The Smashes
- UFC Improves Upon Written Drug Policy
- Georges St-Pierre To Work Boxing Next Week With Freddie Roach
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.