UFC president Dana White doesn't hide his emotions when he talks about the MMA promotion that he has helped build into a juggernaut. So, when asked during a recent interview with MMAFighting.com to reflect on 2012, White held up to his word.
"In all honestly, I think we delivered great events all year...except for Calgary," White said. "I think that I'm always very confident going into an event that we're going to deliver because the guys do, the guys always deliver, and we didn't."
The event White was speaking of was UFC 149: Faber vs. Barao, which featured a main event between Urijah Faber and Renan Barao for the interim UFC bantamweight title. Several fighters were forced off with injuries, including UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Michael Bisping, Thiago Alves and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.
"We didn't deliver in Calgary and that was probably the lowest of the lows," White said. "We were in there, we sold out and there was a lot of people who were upset about that Calgary event. It's something that really bothers me and it's the thing that stands out in my head the most that I do want to go back to Calgary and I want to deliver next time."
Five UFC events are excepted for 2013 for Canada, though no confirmation has been made concerning a Calgary return.
- Dana White On When Gilbert Melendez May Get A Lightweight Championship Shot
- Alistair Overeem Submits Application For Licensing
- UFC Makes Bobby Green-Jacob Volkmann Official For UFC 156
- Junior Dos Santos Enjoys Being Sponsored By Nike
- Cain Velasquez Looking To Follow In Footsteps Of Juan Manuel Marquez
- Cage Warriors 51 Lineup Changed Due To Injuries
- Daniel Cormier Inks UFC Deal Ahead Of Final Strikeforce Fight
- Michael Kuiper-Buddy Roberts Added To UFC On Fox 6
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.