Dan Henderson had a shot at light heavyweight champion Jon Jones before he went down with a knee injury. After the UFC debated on several names to challenge Jones, they went with Henderson's teammate Chael Sonnen. The decision shocked Henderson as Sonnen just made the move up a weight class for the first time in over a decade.
"I was wondering why Chael got the shot," said Henderson to MMA Fighting. "I would have been okay with anyone who was a contender getting the shot, but I was not expecting that."
Sonnen and Jones meet at UFC 159. They currently coach opposite on The Ultimate Fighter.
Henderson said he has about four fights left in him. One of those will be against Lyoto Machida at UFC 157 as Henderson comes in after a yearlong layoff. Machida is 2-2 since he dropped the title. The event comes from the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA on February 23.
"I just want to make sure I beat everybody and eventually if a title fight should happen, then that's the way it goes," said Henderson.
- Bellator88 Results: Alexandre Bezerra Vs. Genair DeSilva
- Bellator 88 Play-by-Play
- Legacy FC 19 Co-Main Event Announced
- Marlon Sandro Is Calm Ahead Of Opening Round Fight
- XFC Signs Luis “Sapo” Santos
- Maiquel Falcão Ready For War To Become Middleweight Champion
- Rashad Evans Says He'll Be Back After Loss To Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- The Ultimate Fighter 17 Ratings Drop Despite Uriah Hall's KO
- UFC On Fox 7 Receives Four More Fights, Including Jorge Masvidal
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.