FightHubTV recently caught up with Showtime Sports General Manager, Stephen Espinoza to discuss his dealings with Zuffa and the UFC, following their purchase of Strikeforce in 2011, as well as the possibility of seeing UFC fights on the Showtime network. Here are some of the highlights:
On the collaborative nature between he and Zuffa: "I'm brand new to this job, to the position as a TV executive. I actually consider this to be one of my strengths: I don't have preconceived notions of how TV production should be… Whether (UFC president) Dana [White] has more ideas, or anyone at Zuffa, I welcome them. What my goal is… is to maximize our programming and make it as good as possible."
Ezpinoza's thoughts on cross-promotion between Strikeforce and UFC: "I think Dana and I have both said it before, anything is possible. Whether we'll have matchups across the companies later on, maybe so… I would love to see it. Whether it happens, there are always complicating factors… I think it would be a dream for the fans."
On whether UFC programming will end up on Showtime: "I'm not completely familiar with all of their contractual agreements, but I think that would be a problem contractually, now. However, in the long run, I wouldn't say that's outside the realm of possibility. I would hope that Zuffa would say that it was a positive enough experience (with Showtime) that it might be possibility, and I'd be happy to consider it as well."
For the full interview, check out the video below.
- Jose Aldo Vs. Erik Koch Planned For "UFC 153" In Rio
- Maruicio “Shogun” Rua Describes Glover Teixeira Situation In His Own Words
- Showtime GM Says UFC Programming On Their Channel A Possibility
- Rich Franklin Hoping For One Final Title Run In The UFC
- Retirement The Right Call, Says Fedor Emelianenko
- Fired Up Anderson Silva Goes Medieval, Says He'll Break "Criminal" Sonnen's Limbs
- Dana White Critical Of Performances By "TUF: Brazil" Fighters At "UFC 147"
- Wanderlei Silva Will Have To Wait Longer For Rematch With Vitor Belfort
- Date For Junior Dos Santos Vs. Cain Velasquez II Unknown