Despite recently dropping a unanimous decision to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in a contender fight, Clay Guida took a shot in the dark when he asked the organization's president, Dana White, for a five-round fight against his upcoming opponent, Gray Maynard.
It just so happens, that the shot paid off, as Guida and Maynard are set to headline this weekend's UFC on FX event.
"The UFC doesn't normally give main events to guy's coming off of losses, so we just kept our fingers crossed and hoped for the best. I hoped that the win streak before the loss to the eventual champion would kind of perk their interest, and the fact that, as of late, Gray has had experience in five round fights," said the former Strikeforce lightweight champion, Guida.
With the "Carpenter's" wish granted, the relentless veteran wanted to let fans know he plans on putting on a show tomorrow night.
"This is what the fans are looking for. It's what I've been hoping for, for a long time. I'm just thankful the UFC granted us a five round main event after both of us coming off of losses. I'm definitely not going to disappoint the fans and Dana White and Joe Silva."
Guida and Maynard face off in the main event of UFC on FX 4, with coverage of the main card beginning at 9 PM EST.
- Fedor Emelianenko Announces His Retirement
- Sam Stout And Spencer Fisher Ready To Make Magic
- UFC On FX: Guida Vs. Maynard Weigh-in Results
- Gray Maynard Talks Sleepless Nights After Edgar Loss, Re-Inventing Himself
- Mark Munoz Talks Injury Rehab, Being Depressed After Injury
- Clay Guida Grateful For Five Round Fight Against Gray Maynard
- Danny Castillo And Michael Johnson Clash At UFC 151
- Live Video Of The UFC On FX Weigh-Ins At 4PM ET/1PM PT
- Two More Bouts Added To UFC On FUEL TV 5 In Nottingham
- Demetrious Johnson Misdiagnosed, Will Not Require Surgery