Although the perennial lightweight contender and fan-favorite, Clay "The Carpenter" Guida is not normally one for predictions. However, the wrestler with world-class cardio told LowKick.com he expects to not only finish Gray "The Bully" Maynard in their bout that headlines the upcoming UFC On FX 4 card, but he also anticipates picking up a fat check for "Fight of the Night" as well.
"Don't be surprised to see me get my next UFC victory by TKO over Gray Maynard," said Guida. "Finishing Gray Maynard puts me right back in the mix as a top contender in the lightweight division after coming up short against (current lightweight champ) Benson Henderson."
If Guida's predictions come true, it would be his sixth "Fight of the Night" bonus. However, the lightweight is not looking past Maynard, who he regards as an elite wrestler.
"I've focused a lot more on fixing holes in my wrestling game with my wrestling coach Israel Martinez. We brought in a few D1 wrestlers to push me. I absolutely think that Gray Maynard is at the top of the division with Ben (Henderson) and Frankie (Edgar). As one of only 2 fighters to defeat Frankie, and having one of the best trilogies in MMA history, he is still at the top… Every time a competitor like Gray Maynard or me steps in the octagon, 'Fight of the night' is always a possibility."
UFC on FX 4 takes place Friday, June 22 at Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The main card will air on FX at 9:00 P.M. EST.
- "The Ultimate Fighter" Doing Away With Live Fights
- Tito Ortiz To Be Inducted Into UFC Hall Of Fame
- UFC's Long-Term Goal: World Cup Of The Ultimate Fighter
- Winning UFC Gold Gave Benson Henderson Validation
- Frankie Edgar Not Thinking About Move To Featherweight, Focused On Bendo
- Dana White Continues Push For Use Of Technology By Fight Judges
- Forrest Griffin Talks Completing Trilogy With Tito Ortiz
- Randy Couture Talks TRT, Suggests Alternatives
- Clay Guida Eying ‘Fight Of The Night’ Honors, TKO Victory Over Gray Maynard