By Rob Kotaska
- Claude Giroux is the cover athlete for NHL. Being a fan of Flyer-hater I was pulling for Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne. Even this non-Phanatic has to admit Giroux is more than worthy; he is one of the top young forwards in the game. Even the black and orange P will not keep me from this game. In a post-Sabres fan world my connection to hockey is largely built through video games. This year there will be added pressure in the virtual arena as I look for a squad to shape in my own image in Be a GM online.
- Minnesota, Columbus and Nashville are the early contenders for my video game stewardship. Lest you think this is small potatoes, my twin brother and I have been battling on EAs ice for over 20 years. This is the first time in 18 we will be able to do so regularly in a league setting. To say I am geeked would be an understatement.
- I hear that in NBA 2K13 the refs will call fouls the same on both teams, even if the Heat are one of them. You just don’t see that anymore. For as ripped as Lebron’s physique is it seems he needs to work out more this off-season. He gets thrown off his path more than Russell Westbrook, who James has 6 inches and at least 50 pounds on.
- Speaking of poor Russell: he took 32 shots yesterday and got to the line 3 times…3! James took 20 shots ( as many as Westbrook made) and was at the stripe 8 times. Mario Chalmers went to the line 5 times. When Mike & Mike throw the refs under the bus you know it is bad. It is not the only reason the Thunder are down, but it certainly does not help.
- The Bills will win the Super Bowl…in my Madden 13 offline franchise. Certainly video game only, but you can mark that, dude.