Throw Chris Weidman's (9-0) name into the list of fighters who wanted to replace the injured Dan Henderson (29-8) at UFC 151. Weidman said he wanted the fight and just needed to make sure his coaches were okay with his decision.
"We said we're all in," said Weidman. "We just have to wait for [Ray] Longo to land, but we're all in. Just put us in the mix. Who knows if it ever got back to Jon Jones though. But [the] UFC knew."
Weidman said that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva was surprised and grateful that he offered to be a replacement.
Even though Weidman fights as a middleweight at 185 pounds, he was up to challenging the champion Jon Jones, (16-1) who would have been 20 pounds heavier.
UFC 151 was canceled after Jones declined to take a fight on eight days' notice.
- Ken Shamrock Accused Of Assaulting A Woman
- Joe Rogan Feels The Older The Fighter The Better
- Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones Gets New Opponent For UFC 152
- Jon Jones Finally Makes His First Public Statements Since UFC 151 Cancellation
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman Draws Over 3,500
- Joe Lauzon Does His Best To Sum Up The Entire Jon Jones-UFC 151 Drama
- Lightweights Shane Roller-Jacob Volkmann, Michael Johnson-Danny Castillo Moved To October
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.