Sonnen is coming off a loss to UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. He mentioned moving to 205 pounds after the loss to Silva, and now it appears that is where he is headed.
"That fight will be at light heavyweight," Sonnen said. "This is a guy who's beat everybody. I could go up to 205 and take Jon Jones' belt away, but there is something to be said in sportsmanship in earning your fight. I'm going to go through Forrest to do it."
Griffin is a former UFC light heavyweight champion and winner of The Ultimate Fighter. He defeated Tito Ortiz by unanimous decision earlier this year.
- Conflict MMA To Honor Fallen Fighter Tyrone Mims
- Randy Couture's Comeback Fight? Steven Seagal
- Shinya Aoki Now Off Next ONE FC Card, Slated For October Instead
- Junior Dos Santos Named Ambassador Of Salvador For 2014 World Cup
- Frankie Edgar Talks Move To Featherweight, Doesn't Believe Cut Would Have Issues
- Thiago Alves, Siyar Bahadurzada Push For Future Fight
- BJ Penn Believes Cut Wasn't Only Reason Rory MacDonald Pulled Out Of Scheduled Fight
- UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II Medical Suspensions Contain Champion
- Jon Jones Fires Back At Chael Sonnen, Refers To Him As "Coward," "Cheater"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.