Sonnen, who is currently filming for the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, recently told MMAjunkie.com that he turned down a spot on the first season of the reality series. Sonnen will appear opposite Jon Jones on the show, which is slated to debut in January.
"When the show very first started, the first coaches ever were my coach, friend, teammate, Randy Coutire, vs. Chuck Liddell, arguably the greatest light heavyweight ever," Sonnen said. "I watched it as a fan. They asked me to be on the show as an athlete, and I passed on the chance. It was on a different network at that time, but an executive at that office invited me on as an athlete. Then I loved the show."
Sonnen added that he "didn't know what to expect," but after seeing how everything played out, he "regretted that decision (to not compete on TUF 1). I really enjoyed watching it, and all these years later, here I am."
- Alistair Overeem-Antonio Silva Official For UFC 156
- Fuel TV To Present "Training Day: The Blackzilians" On Wednesday
- Former WEC Announcer Joe Martinez To Handle UFC On FX 6 Duties
- New Bellator Rule Introduced For Championship Fights
- Two Championships To Be Decided At BAMMA 11
- Luke Rockhold Confirms Hand Injury, Shoots On Lorenz Larkin
- WSOF Pays Pulled Fighter Fabio Mello
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.