Jones, who successfully defended his title Saturday night at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort over Vitor Belfort, suffered what is believed to be nerve damage to his right arm. That could keep him on the sidelines for an extended period, and could allow Sonnen to secure his shot at the belt.
"I can tell you right now, I think they both want that fight," said White, during an interview with reporters following UFC 152 Saturday (thanks to MMAjunkie.com for the quotes). "I think there are other fights that make more sense, (but) people do want to see it. If enough people want to see it, I guess I'd have to make it."
Dan Henderson was previously the No. 1 contender, but didn't make his scheduled appearance due to a knee injury. Lyoto Machida, who secured a future title shot with a win over Ryan Bader earlier this year, turned down a fight with Jones citing not enough time to prepare.
Sonnen actually accepted a short-notice fight with Jones for UFC 151, but "Bones" said no to that bout.
- Stitch Duran Claims Charles Oliveira Suffered Injury Before UFC 152 Fight
- Showtime Issues Statement In Regards To Cancellation
- More Taunting From Chael Sonnen Towards Jon Jones
- TJ Grant Finds New Home As A Lightweight
- UFC 152 Injury Report Includes Jon Jones
- Daniel Cormier On UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones
- Shoulder Injury Derailed Gilbert Melendez-Pat Healy Fight
- Brett Rogers Has A New Home With American Top Team
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.